I know some of you be reading this and be thinking… seriously Lady Homemade broccoli? You are going to tell us about broccoli? It’s a vegetable, it is green so it must be good for you what else is there to tell? Well people the humble broccoli is actually a nutritional powerhouse. When I attend a Superfoods work shop by the gorgeous Catie from the Staple store, she even labelled it a super food.
What makes broccoli so bloody awesome is that it helps your body metabolise oestrogen due to the phytochemicals called indoles*. In a society where oestrogen dominance is so common and we are exposed to so many oestrogen sources every day making sure your body is processing it and eliminating the excess is critical. All cruciferous vegetables support this process but broccoli is a complete ninja at it.
[caption id="attachment_1143" align="aligncenter" width="363"] Broc and cauliflower tossed in coconut oil. Sprinkled with dukkah about to be roasted! YUM!
In addition to this it is full of vitamin C, fibre and many studies have suggested that cruciferous vegetables are great at supporting the detoxification process thanks to the high amounts of fibre. To maximise all the super broccoli powers the best way is to eat it blanched in boiling water or alternatively raw.
How do I eat my broccoli?
- Blanched and then drizzled with good olive oil and pepper and salt simple and yum
– Blanched and then tossed in a pan with a knob of butter, anchovies, chilli flakes and a squeeze of lemon
– Tossed in coconut oil and roasted in the oven with dukkah spice mix on top. Or try this Roasted Broccoli recipe by My New Roots
– I add blanched florets to frittatas
– Add it soups, it goes great in chicken soup or make a broccoli soup. I love this Broccoli and Blue Cheese one it is full on but delish (I don’t make the sage scones)
– You can make it into a yummo raw Broccoli pesto
- Make this raw Broccoli salad, just ensure you slice the broc super thin
How do you like your broccoli? Any ripper recipes you want to share?
WANT MORE LADY HOMEMADE! THEN SUBSCRIBE BELOW TO GET THE LATEST INFORMATION AND RECIPES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Thanks so much for subscribing! All you need to do now is head to your inbox and confirm your subscription and your copy of Real Food Snacks should be with you in an hour!
Also make sure you check out our other Lady Homemade pages:
Thanks again for joining our little Lady Homemade community!